Your first yoga class?: 10 rules and tips to keep in mind
Disclaimer: When you buy from links on our site, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more
Are you a beginner in yoga practice or about to attend your first yoga class? We offer you 10 rules and tips to keep in mind:
- Choose a slow-paced style of yoga , such as Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga, or Iyengar Yoga . Save the dynamic Ashtanga and Vinyasa as well as Bikram Yoga for later when you gain confidence and experience.
- When you first buy your yoga clothes , look for fabrics that wick away perspiration . Choose shirts with a cross back bra as they offer adequate support and don’t show much cleavage. Pants must stretch and conform to retain their shape after lunges and stretches; also choose the most comfortable length.
- Bring a towel . It is used to cleanse the forehead and hands, and to cushion the knees and hips.
- Think about investing in a good yoga mat . It must be firm and strong , not too thick or too thin, and of course pleasant to the touch .
- Turn off your phone during class
- Remove jewelry and watches before class : they can get in the way of practicing the poses.
- Some yoga instructors offer adjustments to make sure you do all the poses properly. If you don’t feel right when a stranger touches/pushes/pulls you, just say so.
- Use yoga props if you are not flexible enough to do certain asanas.
- Hydrate before, after and, if necessary, during practice.
- A typical configuration of the mats in a yoga class is the teacher in the part of the room perpendicular to the students, and the students with their mats parallel to each other and slightly staggered. Make sure you position your mat so that there is enough space both in front of and behind it